Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A semester-long assignment has us taking a book we really don't like and changing it, altering it into something new.

The book I've chosen is not one that I hate, per se, but I do have strong feelings concerning it.
It is a CSS instruction book.
Don't get me wrong, I love CSS! Coding web pages is a lot of fun. But that's not what this book means to me.
Around 10 years ago, I started getting into web design. I didn't have any teachers, so I was learning through Google searches and reading web page sources. My dad saw me struggling with it in some areas, so he went out and bought two books: HTML 4.0 CliffsNotes and the CSS instruction book. I was ecstatic. Finally, something that will show me what I need to know!
Well, I tried to read and understand these books and I just couldn't wrap my head around them. So they sat for 10 years, unused.
This was something that my dad went out of his way for in order to help me with something I loved. And I didn't even use it.
The guilt of that has haunted me ever since.
Looking at these books, which are outdated and largely useless now, reminds me of that guilt.

To me, the book represents the guilt. Looking at it, I feel ashamed I didn't make a better effort to use it. I feel like I must be some kind of ungrateful child for not making that better effort.
That's what the book means to me. It's a weight on my shoulders and on my heart. And it's time to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment